For video version go to: https://youtu.be/fklT_pYAztI
See our upgraded website at: http://www.cybloom.com
- We know enough about genetics for elementary baby design, and it is not as if scientists are going to create babies from scratch!
- This must be a very gradual and tightly regulated process, and we need international cooperation… we must avoid a designer baby arms race
- Our artificial breeding of domesticated animals has been a resounding success, so this is not completely unchartered territory
- Superficial applications should be strongly discouraged, like e.g. people selecting eye/hair color
- We need to get rid of the political baggage relating to “superhumans”
- Dialogue with religious/ideological leaders is important
- Return on investment should be in focus, since this tech is very expensive
- Focus firstly on improving health, eliminating horrible heritable diseases
- Maybe constant improvement of designer babies will be our first-line defense against subjugation by artificial intelligence?
- We will alter a person’s body without their consent, which is an issue
- What if we get culture-specific designer babies, like Jewish male babies designed to be born without foreskin… is that appropriate use of this technology?
- Paradoxically, both the failure and success of designer babies could create great societal challenges. Children and families would suffer if it fails. On the other hand, we could get a class of dominating superhumans if this tech succeeds.
- Genetics is very complicated, so altering one gene might cause immediate or delayed changes in other genes